Ways in which law firms influence the society today

It is said that power and influence in the legal jargon goes beyond the judiciary. In the current world, some law firms have a lot of influence due their popularity and dominance in the market. Times online legal editors Frances Gibb and Alex Spence in their article law1oo asked

Who are the driving forces at the big City law firms, the generators of billion-pound revenues  the dealmakers who command most respect And is the in-house solicitor, with power to bring a test case, more powerful than the barristers who win it or the judge who decides it And what of those in the backrooms, the unseen lawyers driving the policy cogs of government

This is an indicator that the people are aware and unhappy of what is going on in our judicial system. If this situation continues to prevail, who will be the poor peoples defender  This has caused a lot of unjust judgments. If the best lawyers are only found onboard the high profile law firms and on that matter very expensive, who is going to represent the less fortunate in the society That is a question only the lawyers themselves can answer out of self consciousness. The problem with our courts is that the judges prosecute on grounds of who is representing you. These top lawyers dine and wine with the judges. How then do we expect them not to receive favors from the judges if they are their friends

Business wise, corporate law firms are very expensive. This has helped increase the vulnerability and manipulation of small businesses by the huge firms who have their cases presented by big law firms in the country.

This has greatly influenced injustice in the society with the poor being represented by appointed court attorneys while the rich being represented by top profile lawyers from big law firms in the cities.

Admission essay to the law undergraduate of the year award
Even before I joined law school, I was very sure that my calling was destined to work as a lawyer and that arguing and presenting law facts is a thing cultivated in me. There has never been doubt about what I have wanted to do with my life. When I am in court room I feel that the working environment is more controlled than any where else. I find the satisfaction I get when after winning a case very much fulfilling. I am well conversant with what is required of a lawyer and I have a clear understanding of the repercussions although to me they are just but an urge to pursue further. By becoming an integral winner of the Mayer brown law summer work experience program, will be a step further in building my profile as a lawyer.

I have strong educational background I am expecting at least a 22 in my results. I have been fully active in school activities relating to law and have won various awards in my time of study. I am also am deeply associated with communal work. I participate in community based activities to help create a better place for the benefit of us all and even hold a burning sphere award for event organizing.

I boast of having great communication, listening and interpersonal skills which I believe incorporated by the passion for law I have and team work provided, we will both be able to offer the public the justice they deserve. With the areas I am not conversant with, I will compensate by learning quickly. I adopt quickly to change and collaborate very well with others towards achieving our goal. I believe by adopting me into your program will be a step further towards promoting my career interests and helping you achieve your business objectives

A corporate law project
This is the most interesting and intriguing project I have ever undertook in my time of study. The many cases relating to business fraud and financial mismanagement I encountered in my research were very helpful to me in understanding corporate law fully. The project was to evaluate and relate two cases studies regarding business ethic dilemmas caused by breach of corporate law in the United States and Australia. That led me to unearth the Enron scandal (2001 United States) and the Skase saga (1989 Australia).

The Enron scandal is the biggest audit failure in the history of United States. An analysis on the failure indicated personal involvement on the financial management of the organization. The Enron scandal led to the generation of the Sarbanes Oxley act on 8th, June 2002. United States senator Mr. Paul Sarbanes and a house representative Michael Oxley managed to pass what would be known as the Sarbanes Oxley bill at the senate banking committee. The act was to overlook financial management and corporate governance in organizations.

Similar to this is the Skase (Quintex) saga. Quintex was retail and broadcasting company that performed well in its early days of business. In 1989, the company scrambled down due to bankruptcy. One of the company directors Mr. Ted Harris highlighted the circumstances of the collapse to the public as personal interference of the chief executive in the running of the business. He stated that Mr. Skase was channeling company revenues to his other private companies including the seven network TV station and a number of hotel resorts and clubs across Australia and Asia. These transfers were unauthorized and involved huge amounts of money. In the early 1980s, Quintex was estimated to be over 1.5 Australian billion dollars and by the time of collapse, the company was in debt of over 700, 000 million Australian dollars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment