Being an editor of a student publication exposed me to various social issues the unfair distribution of public facility institutions (based on how much money the region contributes to the GDP)  the lack of appreciation for the jobs typically handled by women the restriction in the publics access to employment, goods and services and so on. While a lot can be said about these issues, I realized that the underlying principle is that, the society, including our national leaders,  has not yet been able to fully commit to the  essential principles of equity, democracy and respect for all persons and their points of view. This realization created an unrest within me I can not just sit and watch social injustice to go by, I must do something.

This is the main reason for my seeking admission into a law school. Knowledge on the U.S Legal System will equipped me with the necessary tools to help address the roots of these social issues.  This conviction came during a study tour in Jones Day, Washington, DC, where we learned that technicalities on how to go about a cause that you are fighting for are just as important the compassion that you put into it.

I look forward to law school as an opportunity to marry idealism and  reality. It is for me the bridge in which the gap between social justice and social movements can be linked.  As an experienced student leader, I belive that I have much to contribute to a program in law. My dedication into achieving social justice, my compassion for others coupled with my natural ability to reason and to think critically will surely make me one of the best lawyers in town. Reason and Passion merged is surely the most potent tool one can have.

I am almost finished with my business degree. And I am anxious to embark on the next stage of my careerthat is in a Law School.

0 comments:

Post a Comment